THIS IS MY VIRTUAL LIVING ROOM. COME ON IN AND SAY HELLO. THE BAR IS OVER IN THE CORNER -- HELP YOURSELF, BUT MIND YOUR MANNERS.

Thursday, February 15, 2007

The Problem With Math

I wasn't a great lover of mathematics. I did B work, but I never really got excited about it. I think my son inherited this from me, because he despises it.

As I recall, when I ran across a math problem that I found particularly vexing, I would still attempt to get as far as I could before giving up. Occasionally I would skip the problem entirely, if I felt that I would simply make an ass out of myself in the attempt (this might occur if, for instance, I had skipped a class that covered an area and was surprised by a pop quiz or something).

These kids, however, suffer no such indignity. Unconstrained by the mores of my day, they are compelled to make the best out of a desperate situation by providing (in most instances) a jolt of comic relief. Then there's the one fella who appears to take this math stuff far too personally. You have to love the restrained comment, though.














<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?