THIS IS MY VIRTUAL LIVING ROOM. COME ON IN AND SAY HELLO. THE BAR IS OVER IN THE CORNER -- HELP YOURSELF, BUT MIND YOUR MANNERS.

Saturday, March 19, 2005

On Foot Washing

I am not going to wade into an issue so rife with religious, cultural and political implications. I simply want to encourage an exercise in linguistics, and make an observation.

Remove all historical, biblical, cultural and political references from your brain, and read this portion of the opening sentence in the Globe article of this morning:

"Archbishop Sean P. O'Malley ... has decided that this year he will wash the feet of women and men."

I have never had my feet washed by another person, and I have to say that if I were to do so, I'd probably prefer that it be done by someone other than a Catholic priest. But now, undestanding a bit more what the meaning and nature of this profound ritual is all about, I'm not sure I should ever be worthy of washing my own feet, ever again.

And I am reminded how easy it is to be frivolous with language.


<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?