THIS IS MY VIRTUAL LIVING ROOM. COME ON IN AND SAY HELLO. THE BAR IS OVER IN THE CORNER -- HELP YOURSELF, BUT MIND YOUR MANNERS.

Thursday, February 24, 2005

Self-Discovery Through Multiple Choice Questions

Closing in on fifty, I think that I have come to know myself pretty well by now. Most, but not all, of my self-assessments were empirically vaidated recently, however, when I succumbed -- purely out of curiosity -- to a couple of "personality tests." Taken in the course of my initiative to explore possible career options, one test (the "D.I.S.C. Assessment") proposed to assist me in recognizing both my own personality type and that of any prospective interviewer -- the idea being that when I am able to identify the personality type of my interviewer, I am able to modify my own behavior to take advantage of the situation. The other test, the "Thomas-Jung Personaility Profile," seeks to determine, by examination of a lengthy handwriting sample, the quality of an job applicant's character independently of his resume.

All of this sounds a little Orwellian to some, but personally, I think it's fun. Just think of how much easier it is to communicate with a job interviewer when both you and s/he have nothing to be coy about:

Hiring Party: "Soooooo, tell me about yourself!"

Applicant: "Well, D.I.S.C. scores me 93% on the I scale, and a -15% on the P scale, and Thomas-Jung scores me 33% Field Marshall, 33% Mastermind and 33% Strategist!"

"I see, well this position does require someone who is extroverted and people-oriented, charming, confident and enthusiastic, but I am concerned about your propensity to be late for meetings."

"Oh, well that aspect of the assessment was way off. I am habitually early for meetings and in fact am very annoyed by others that are late."

"Ah I see, a statistical anomaly in the methodology. Well of course, when you're the boss, there are great demands on you. You can't always be on time! How do you get along with dominant D's?"

"Well I can see from your posture and the way you sit at your desk that you are a dominant D, and I have always admired and respected people who make calculated, organized and well thought-out decisions."

"Now young man, while I appreciate your need to influence people, you know that I am only interested in results and winning."

"Of course -- you're sitting upright and using fast-paced speech and direct, clear words. I'd sure appreciate your showing me social recognition by offering me this job!"

"Well hiring is one of the tasks I am oriented toward, and since you are dissatisfied by rejection and haven't over-used data in this interview, I think I can assure you that I have made a winning decision. Let me stand up, lean forward and give you a strong handshake!"

"Thank you sir! This is fun and exciting! I very much look forward to pleasing you and others."


<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?