THIS IS MY VIRTUAL LIVING ROOM. COME ON IN AND SAY HELLO. THE BAR IS OVER IN THE CORNER -- HELP YOURSELF, BUT MIND YOUR MANNERS.

Thursday, February 24, 2005

The Boston Blues Scene

There's one thing about blues music. Not many people will say it is their favorite, but hardly anybody doesn't like it. In fact, I've never heard anyone say, "I don't like blues music."

So, do yourself a favor, and make it a regular part of your diet. I did, and look what it's done for me (I heard that!).

Because blues is not something that venues consider profitable, it is difficult to find if you want it. So here are some links that you can use to find you way around the Boston blues scene ---(sorry, I haven't figured out how to embed links within blog text yet and Blogger's website help isn't crackin, so you'll have to cut and paste)....

Boston Blues Society website has (among many other things) a list of open mics and events. Think about joining BBS -- it's tax deductible, and you get a cool newsletter in the mail. One of their writers, Steve Mroz, is a regular on harp at the Purple Eggplant (see below).

The guys at Barrelhouseblues.com have done a great job of identifying all of the genre's Boston-based artists -- of which there are an impressive number. Click the headline above for their website.

Some of the open mic events are truly special. Because they are fairly local and dependent on the "regulars," there is usually a good base of attendance. Sometimes there can be an off-night, and sometimes the crowds are big and very enthusiastic.

I got my open mic start at The Cantab Lounge in Cambridge, where Little Joe Cook and his band host on Sundays and Wednesdays. I haven't been in quite a while, but the Cantab is an institution, and you can't go wrong on atmosphere alone.

Because I live on the South Shore, my regular haunt is The Purple Eggplant in Abington (www.purpleeggplantcafe.com), where Satch Romano and his New Blue Review (hometown.aol.com/rromano711/myhomepage/newsletter.html) host a kick-ass open mic on Thursdays. This has come to mean so much to my peace of mind that my wife practically makes me go. The regular talent is a very impressive mix of musicians, many of whom play with area bands. Satch even calls in some big shots when he can, such as Elmore James Jr. from Chicago, Danny Kline (Stone Crazy), or Mark Hylander (Stone Crazy). The Eggplant owners are lovely people, and they've been very supportive of local musicians. Their weekend music billing is impressive also (James Montgomery this weekend!).

Satch also does a great job at setting it up at The Next Page in Weymouth. Check out Satch'es link for all Purple Eggplant and Next Page bookings.

I will give rewards to any reader who reports that s/he attended any event as a result of this post.


<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?